Steel Dynamics Water Treatment, COLUMBIA CITY, IN
Steel Dynamics needed to add production capacity at its Columbia City, Indiana, mill—including a water treatment facility—that would allow the plant to produce a higher volume of rail products and add lighter-weight structural shapes and merchant bars to its product offerings.
When in full operation, the mill expansion needed to add capacity of 600,000 tons per year and bring Columbia City’s finished steel production capacity to 1.6 million tons per year.
Shambaugh & Son did the plant layout of the facility process and utility systems utilizing 3-D computer modeling, allowing the customer to walk through the facility and make changes before piping fabrication began, thus eliminating costly changes to work already installed. Shambaugh & Son finished this key project on time and on budget.
SCOPE OF SERVICES
Shambaugh & Son’s commercial mechanical and plumbing services scope of work included the layout, prefabrication, and installation of piping and equipment for the process water, plumbing, and chemical systems in the new treatment facility.
Mechanical Process Piping Services Highlights:
- 3-D modeling of building and piping layout
- Piping sizes from ¼” tubing to 36” carbon steel pipe
- Piping material included stainless steel, PVC, CPVC, and carbon steel
- Prefabrication of over 70% of process piping
- Installation of piping to over 40 pumps, six sand filters, storage tanks, and instrumentation and controls.
- Piping systems included contact and non-contact cooling water, compressed air, natural gas, sour air, domestic water, sanitary waste and vent, sludge, and oxygen
Steel Dynamics, Inc. is a steel producer based in Fort Wayne, Indiana, and is the fifth largest producer of carbon steel products in United States. Over sixty percent of the company’s steel shipments are flat-rolled sheet steel and the remainder is long products (bars and beams) and fabricated products.