DFA Blending & Drying, ALLERTON, IOWA
The client’s goal of this project was to add a new blending system for specialty nutritional products while maintaining existing capabilities to manufacture a diverse mix of elegant protein and hydrolosate products, as well as making needed modifications to the existing dryer plant.
The schedule allowed 8 months from design to production. The scope of work included all areas of the plant. Project challenges were numerous including “fast track” procurement of major equipment throughout engineering and design, creative and continuous expediting of equipment and services to meet construction schedule requirements, and working within an operating facility, in hygienic conditions without interrupting production.
A new, stand-alone cleaning system to provide cleaning-in-place (CIP) capability for the dryer cyclones, dryer chamber and associated dryer CIP circuits was installed eliminating a typical 4-day-down-time needed for manual cleaning. The project was completed on time and on budget with no unscheduled downtime.
SCOPE OF SERVICES
The scope of work included replacement of the dryer inner cladding, replacement of the cyclones, installation of powder collection and cooling system, installation of a dryer safety system and dryer control system.
Project Highlights include:
- New liquid ingredient receiving bay and raw storage silos
- New blend tanks and automated blending system
- New dump hoppers and powder handling systems
- Modified dryer heating and cooling systems
- New HVAC systems for process areas to control temperature and pressure
- New process water filtration system
- Expanded capacity of chilled water and compressed air systems
- New cooler for temperature sensitive specialty ingredients
- New hygienic bulk powder packaging tower
- Replaced existing PLC controls to accommodate process and dryer expansions while supporting start-up of several redesigned process/CIP and mechanical systems
- Modified Electrical Power & Utility Systems
- Installed server/client distributed HMI system
- Included all S&S Engineering and Construction Disciplines
DFA makes innovative cheese and dairy ingredients for the global food industry, specializing in the customization of powders, concentrates, seasonings, flavor enhancers and hard Italian cheeses. It was founded in 2000 as a partnership of Dairy Farmers of America, Inc. and Fonterra Cooperative Group, Limited.