Unilever, OWENSBORO, KY
Shambaugh designed the industrial ammonia refrigeration system in 3-D Building Information Modeling (BIM) to ensure accurate details and dimensions. This allowed the customer to tour and evaluate the ammonia refrigeration system installation during construction. Additionally, this helped ensure accurate details & dimensions and to allow Shambaugh & Son’s Food Process & Refrigeration Division to meet a very demanding project schedule.
SCOPE OF SERVICES
The design/build construction project consisted of a centralized industrial ammonia refrigeration system that provided the cooling required for several new process lines and the installation of two (2) new –20 F storage freezers and a +35 F dock. The Design/Build construction project also included the integration of several pieces of customer supplied cooling equipment designed to meet the special needs of their products. A centralized refrigeration control system allowed for critical process temperature control and integration of an ammonia monitoring system. An additional control panel was provided to allow for remote control of the ammonia refrigeration system in the event of an emergency.
- Prefabricated piping and hanger assemblies to meet demanding installation schedule
- 2000 ton, two stage ammonia refrigeration compressor system to achieve process temperatures of –50 F
- Energy efficient design utilizing variable frequency drives for precise discharge head pressure control
- State-of-the-art, PLC based ammonia refrigeration control system
- 2500 GPM central glycol chilling system and process HVAC installation
- Strict adherence to X-Ray (NDE) requirements
- Ammonia refrigeration maintenance friendly Design/Build, which allows easy access to all valves, motors, and fans