Dairy Farmers of America, PORTALES, NEW MEXICO
The client’s goal was to increase production capacity at the plant by approximately 25% and improve efficiency to accommodate an increase in milk production.
Dairy Farmers of America (DFA) selected Shambaugh & Son, as their single source, Design/Build partner for this $14 million “fast track” evaporation and drying plant renovation/expansion project. The schedule allowed only 28 weeks between Shambaugh’s first visit and final commissioning.
SCOPE OF SERVICES
The scope of work included all areas of the plant. Project challenges were numerous including “fast track” procurement of major equipment throughout engineering and design, creative and continuous expediting of equipment and services to meet construction schedule requirements, working within the existing building footprint to minimize capital cost and schedule, and working within an operating facility without interrupting production. The project was completed on time and under budget with no unscheduled downtime.
Project Highlights include:
- Hybrid CIP and mix-proof technologies allows turnaround of raw milk tankers in 45 minutes or less including positioning, unloading and CIP cleaning
- Expanded raw and pasteurized product storage capacity
- Expansion of an existing skim milk HTST to 150,000 lbs/hr capacity
- Modular design and pre-fabrication of a palletized cream HTST and multiple continuous milk standardizing systems accelerated project delivery
- Relocation of by-product load-out eliminated bottlenecks at tanker receiving
- New product and process water recovery systems
- Expanded capacity on refrigeration, glycol, chilled water, and compressed air systems
- Increased capacity and reliability of waste water handling and pre-treatment
- Replaced existing PLC controls to accommodate current and future expansions while supporting start-up of several redesigned process/CIP and mechanical systems
- Modified Electrical Power & Utility Systems
- Included all S&S Engineering and Construction Disciplines